So yesterday, we had the privilege of being taught from a General Authority, Elder Bowen. He taught to two zones, the Waco zone and the Killeen zone. It was such a privilege to be taught from a General Authority in such a small group.
For the last month or so, he has asked us that we study the Abrahamic Covenant, the Baptismal Covenant, the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood, and the House of Israel to prepare for his visit. So that is what we have been doing and it has been a delight to study those topics. We have learned that all of the covenants are essesentially the same thing, and they are all a part of the Abrahamic Covenant, more or less.
So anyways, here is some of the things that I learned yesterday from Elder Bowen:
- Compare and contrast D&C 11:20-21 with Moses 1:39. Moses 1:39 is God's work and glory. D&C 11:20-21 is our work.
- The gospel is not easy, but it is simple.
- Preach My Gospel should be used for the rest of our lives. And we should start using it with our children as soon as they can read. It would be a shame if we were to get home from our missions and put it on a shelf, and say those were 2 great years.
- Obedience + Work = miracles
- Work = faith
- Miracles don't happen when you don't act. Miracles come when you've done all you can do.
- doubt + fear equals not faith
- if dark, can't be light
- if light, can't be dark
- Obedience brings power
- Nothing will change unless you do.
- Finding should be a way of life instead of a missionary activity. Finding ought to be enjoyable. Get creative and do it with a smile.
Who am I? so I can act accordingly...
- God is a title
- 3 things that I need to know
- 1. know that God lives
- 2. know his characteristics and attributes
- 3. know that the course that I am on is in accordance with the Father.
- We pray to God the Father. Answers normally comes through the Holy Ghost.
- God isn't gaining knowledge, he is gaining glory. As we are perfected, it adds glory to him.
- Abraham is our grandfather, and so we should all be happy because he is rich and our inheritance is through him.
- You have the potential to become like your Father in Heaven.
- chosen = obedient
- The Melchezidek priesthood is the same priesthood as Christ used to create the earth.
- The Priesthood is not men, it is the power of God.
- The plan of happiness requires a man and a woman.
- The Priesthood blesses both of them equally.All of the prophets up to Malachi had the Melchizedek Priesthood.
- The Nephites had the Melchezidek Priesthood.
- Alma 13
- D&C 107:18-19
- in many ancient documents mysteries and ordinances are used interchangeably. ...
- authority = right from God
- power = personal righteousness
- keys = the right to direct the kingdom in your geopgraphical area.
- "If we don't have priesthood authority and keys, then we are a big club that does good things."
- Aaronic priesthood => ministering of angels
- Melchezidek Priesthood => communion and presence of God
- D&C 84:19
- Baptism without the temple isn't worth a lot.
- If we stop at baptism, or even our endowment, we won't be able to enter into the presence of God.
- Where is Abraham now?
- D&C 132:29
- "prepare every needful thing"
- What can this world offer that can compare with all that the Father has?
- If we could part the veil and understand who we are the temptations of this world would seem laughable.
- The temple is the connection point between this life and the next.
- This life is not reality.
- The temple is reality.
- We will only be here for 80 or 90 years and then we will go back to where we belong.
- What do I need to change in my life right now to be a more effective instrument in God's hands?
So, yes, yesterday, was an incredibly edifying day. We are all children of Israel, children of the covenant, and some of the noble and great ones in the pre-earth life. Now, that you know who you are, act accordingly.
-Hermana Julie Anna Sanchez