Thursday, April 12, 2012

Rumbi Rice

So, lately I have been cooking without a recipe, nothing big, just soups and casseroles and stuff, but I think that it is cool to be able to make a meal using the supplies that are available.

Anyways, we have had this can of coconut milk sitting around the apartment for ages, and I decided that I would use it to make some Rumbi Rice, as made by Rumbi Island Grill.   It turned out really well and is quite easy.  I decided that there may be others who would like to make it, so I wrote up a recipe for it online.

2 cups uncooked white rice
3 cups coconut milk  (The vanilla coconut milk that comes in a carton, sold by the soy milk at Walmart works the best)
1 cup water (I like my rice to be nice and fluffy and we don't have a lid to boil it in, so I use more liquid up at school than I did at home.)
half a can of black beans
frozen vegetables (I like cali veggies)
two pork chops
Olive oil
Teriyaki Sauce
1 tsp ginger  (I never measure spices like this, I just add it until it feels right, but if I had to guess how much I added, these would be the amounts.  Feel free to get fancy with your spices.  If you have a love for garlic or rosemary or cilantro or something else,  it is perfectly acceptable to add them in addition to or instead of ginger.)
1.5 tsp seasoning salt
1/8 tsp Seasoned Meat Tenderizer

Boil rice in the coconut milk until fluffy.  Add ginger and seasoning salt.  (When most of the moisture has boiled off, add water to the pot to prevent it from burning, and to keep the rice fluffy.)  Wash black beans in water, drain.  Add black beans to the pot. Stir.

Cut uncooked pork into cubes.  Sprinkle pork with Seasoned Meat Tenderizer.  In a separate pan, fry in olive oil until fully cooked (sides will be a light golden brown).

In a separate pot, boil the frozen veggies until soft.

Add 1/4 of the rice mixture to a bowl.  Over half the bowl place 1/4th the pork on top of the rice.  On the other half the bowl place 1/4th the veggies on top of the rice.  Drizzle with Teriyaki Sauce to taste.

Makes four servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment